Thursday 3 May 2018

Purple thorn

A few moths taken over the last few days. All new for me. I spotted the Purple thorn "swimming" in the pond yesterday afternoon. Of course it was doing the "moth stroke" rather than the "butterfly". Rescued it and let it dry out on cardboard egg box, then photographed and released into shrubbery.

I would be grateful for help with ID of 2 micros but may not be enough detail on number 2.


Purple thorn

Mullein


Twenty-plume

Question



Alan Diver,
Tackley




Hi Dave, as always many thanks. Don't think second photo of my second moth helps a lot but I think the other photos confirm your ID particularly looking at head and tufts.

Alan

1 comment:

  1. I can't do either of those micros with any degree of certainty, Alan (would need a better image of them both, and in the case of the top one a shot from a different angle). My guess is that they might be Ypsolopha mucronella and Caloptilia semifascia.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.