Sunday 13 May 2018

A few queries

Inevitably, I've had a few recently in my garden in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, which I'm not so sure of -- all suggestions very welcome. First, I think the following, both from 7th May, are probably Seraphim and/or Small Seraphim, but I don't know whether I have both species, or slightly different individuals of one of them; the first one was about 15mm in wing-length, but I didn't get the measurements of the second

Seraphim or Small Seraphim?, 7th May 2018

Seraphim or Small Seraphim?, 7th May 2018
Secondly, the inevitable 'couple of pugs': the first, from 11th May, was about 9mm in wing length, and I wondered about Oak-tree, but I don't really know; the second is 5th May, and I suppose might simply be a Common.

Possible Oak-tree Pug, 11th May 2018

Possible Common Pug, 5th May 2018
And finally, the traditional couple of micros -- both from that big catch from May 7th. The first, with apologies for the appalling photo, I just can't trace; the second might, I think, be Swammerdamia pyrella -- I know Swammerdamia species are usually hard to distinguish, but this seems to have traces of the coppery termen which that species apparently boasts.

Mystery micro, 7th May 2018

Possible Swammerdamia pyrella, 7th May 2018
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Steve Goddard


2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve, your first two are both Seraphim, the two pugs appear to me to be correctly named, while the micros are an Elachista (apicipunctella I think but would need a better image to be sure) and Swammerdamia pyrella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks, Dave -- Seraphim aren't all that regular here, so that's pleasing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.