Thursday 19 October 2017

Vestal colours



As predicted by Dave, the Vestal continues its advance and mine came last night (left in the composite pic below). My last calls from the species were in late July 2014 and late September 2013 - the last a particularly white one (top right with the ace antennae) which I gather suggests that it would have pupated at a lower temperature than the yellowy/creamy ones and was probably therefore Northern Europe- or UK-bred.  I liked the way that its colours were so similar to Hollywood's interpretation of a Vestal Virgin, shown here in the person of Janet Stephens.

My other immigrant apart from the White-speck has been a lone Silver Y. Large Wainscots are currently calling nightly and it was good to have my first Sprawler for the year this morning.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.