Tuesday 17 October 2017

NMN catchup

For NMN I ended up carrying out my monthly survey at a local woodland site on Friday night and heading down to Thatcham to join Berks Moth Group on Saturday night. Friday provided a few nice moths with several Merveille du Jour and another Clifden Nonpareil. Numbers weren't great but there were a few surprises including fresh Light Emerald, several fresh Straw Dot and a fresh Yellow-tail. I had feared that I had missed Oak Lutestring this year as I normally catch it much earlier in the year and hadn't caught one in 2017 so far, so a fairly fresh one of these also came as a welcome surprise.

Just another Clifden Nonpareil! - 13-10-17 VC22
Yellow-tail - one of quite a few species squeezing in extra broods this year - 13-10-17 VC22
Oak Lutestring 13-10-17 VC22
Like many moth-ers around the UK, yesterdays storm got me excited and I switched the actinic light in the south facing part of the garden for an MV trap last night hoping for something special. I got fewer moths than I have had for a while and the one decent moth, a Vestal, was in a little actinic trap I put under a tree near the house expecting to catch very little at all!

Marc Botham, Didcot


Vestal - Didcot, 16-10-17


1 comment:

  1. I've tried for it but I think I've missed out on Oak Lutestring this year :-(

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.