Wednesday 5 July 2017

The heatwave returns

OK, so it's not quite as extreme as the one a couple of weeks ago, but I'm glad I've more or less caught up on my records from that one for the garden in Wolvercote, Oxfordshire, as I suspect tonight and the next couple will provide a fair amount of work. Although numbers haven't been as impressive as some people's the total of 287 individuals and 82 species, of which 19 were NFY, was pretty good on 19th June. Species which seem to be doing well include V-Pug, Common Footman (and to some extent, Buff Footman) and Coronet; and my overall impression, even before the previous heatwave, has been that this year has been measurably more productive than last.

I've had a few tricky specimens from recent days and would be grateful for confirmation or help: I suspect the first of these two is just an unusually-marked Single-dotted Wave, but I wondered about a Mullein Wave; and from an earlier post here, I wonder whether the rather washed-out individual below it, with its raised abdomen, is a Brown Scallop.

Single-dotted, or Mullein Wave, 4/7/17

Possible Brown Scallop, 25/6/17
A few micro species I have some idea of: the first looks as though it could be Zeiraphera isertana; the second a possible Acleris kochiella and the third possibly Aethes cnicana; I think the fourth is Crambus perlella, and a longer shot for the fifth is Scrobipalpa acuminatella.

Possible Zeiraphera isertana, 23/6/17

Possible Acleris kochiella, 23/6/17

Possible Aethes cnicana, 30/6/17

Possible Crambus perlella, 3/7/17

Possible Scrobipalpa acuminatella, 3/7/17
And one micro I know (or think I know) is an Acrobasis, but I can't decide which species, and indeed it might not be possible to tell:

Presumed Acrobasis sp., 2/7/17
As ever, any confirmations or corrections very welcome.

Steve Goddard

2 comments:

  1. I'd go along with Single-dotted Wave and Brown Scallop, Steve.

    Zeiraphera isertana is correct and I think you are safe with Acleris kochiella too. The Aethes would appear to be rubigana if this site is to be believed:

    http://britishlepidoptera.weebly.com/128-aethes-rubigana-burdock-conch.html

    Yes to Crambus perlella, the gelechiid needs a clearer image and the last one appears to me to be Phycita roborella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very many thanks, Dave: some good news there, with the Zeiraphera and Acleris Kochiella both being new to my garden (and life) list, and the former the first species on the list beginning with 'z'... The degree of detail on that website has left my head spinning!

    ReplyDelete