Saturday 15 July 2017

Argyresthia species, and a question about Yponomeuta

Three different Argyresthia species arrived in my garden moth trap on Thursday night. I always struggle with these tiny micros, even with the help of a hand lens, but I hope I have correctly identified these ones.
Argyresthia brockeella -
Argyresthia goedartella -
Argyresthia pruniella-

My question re the Yponomeuta species is, are the 2 individuals below worth keeping for further inspection? I know that some of the species can only be reliably identified from the larval stages on the appropriate foodplant.
My first specimen has a forewing of about 12mm, and in appearance looks rather like Yponomeuta rorrella (Willow Ermine).

The other individual is slightly smaller (forewing 9mm) and is more greyish in appearance but with a white head.

Steve Trigg, Cookham

2 comments:

  1. I agree with all of your Argyresthia id's Steve. As for the Yponomeutas, dissection doesn't help at all. However, the way to tell if it is rorrella is to look at the hindwing and this species has a thin white line running along the hindwing costa.
    Otherwise padella, cagnagella and malinellus can only be separated by finding the larvae.

    ReplyDelete