Saturday 1 July 2017

A little help needed

Although the heatwave is over, my garden trap still attracted over 400 moths on Thursday night, and it has taken awhile to go through them. Common Footman was the most numerous moth (67), followed by Uncertain/Rustic agg. (52).
I am wondering if the micro below (fw 6mm) is Teleiodes vulgella?


This very black micro below (fw measures 8mm) I am stuck on, so any suggestions welcome.


Finally, am I safe to record the very worn moth shown below as a Dark Umber? The fw measured 17mm.


Steve Trigg, Cookham

5 comments:

  1. Yes to vulgella and Dark Umber Steve. Not sure about the middle one, if Mister Wilton doesn't know then perhaps it should find its way over here in your next posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if the middle one is a dark morph of Aproaerema anthyllidella

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't like to say for sure what the middle one is. Definitely one to keep for Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also puzzled by the middle one. Adam's suggestion looks possible. Given the length of the antenna I was looking at Blastodacnas . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks everyone. The middle mystery moth has been kept for further investigation.

    ReplyDelete