Tuesday 27 June 2017

Beautiful Snout

Dithering about whether to go trapping or not a couple of nights ago I decided to make the effort at the last moment and went to the local woodland, Philipshill. I was glad I did: 114 species (plus a few more) later I had encountered a couple of notables. Star, in my opinion, was my first Beautiful Snout:

Also a moth that would have been immaculate but for a bad rip in a hind wing: Cydalima perspectalis:

 
Also, not one, but two Meadow Brown butterflies, rendered all the stranger by the fact that the light they obsessed over was in the middle of a Beech wood. Also, the following scruffy moth is mentioned because it would be a first for me and I have been known to get this one wrong before:
Am I right and it's Archips crataegana? It was accompanied by good numbers of its close relative
 A. xylosteana and it is similar to them.
Andy.

2 comments:

  1. Similar but different, looks like A. crataegana to me. Some nice moths there.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.