Wednesday 24 May 2017

May Highflyer, and a micro query

Quite a few new for year moths appeared in the garden trap last night, including Common Swift, Common Wave, Clouded Silver, Light Emerald, Shears, Bright-line Brown-eye, Common Wainscot, Silver Y, Spectacle and Straw Dot. I also had a moth I haven't seen before, but looks very much like May Highflyer.


New for year micros included Crambus lathoniellus and Udea olivalis. I found 3 tiny silvery grey moths, with the forewing measuring 5mm, and one is photographed below. I thought it might be Coleophora albitarsella?


Steve Trigg, Cookham

3 comments:

  1. Yes to May Highflyer. Presumably you have Alder nearby?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. Yes, plenty of Alder around, although none actually in the garden.

      Delete
  2. The Coleophorid might well be albitarsella, Steve, but I think it would need a better view of the legs (or dissection to be 100% sure).

    ReplyDelete