Sunday 30 April 2017

Two more queries


May I ask for help with a couple of arrivals? The first is the micro, above.  The nearest I could see was Elachista albifrontella and a kind commentator on my own blog also suggested that but added that it was a bit early for this species, a point which had put me off likewise.

The second is probably impossible because my pictures - below - are so poor.  I meant to go back later to check it (being under pressure from grandchildren who wanted to examine more colourful things in the eggboxes) but when I did, it had gone.  Any help on either or both would be much appreciated.

New arrivals since I last posted are Pebble Prominent, Pale Prominent, Lesser Swallow Prominent, Green Carpet (lots around), Red Twin-spot Carpet, Chocolate-tip, Muslin, Spectacle, Brimstone and Shoulder Stripe, the last being a moth which has not visited me since I started trapping here in 2013 and never did in Leeds.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon





9 comments:

  1. Can I just make out a tiny white mark after the 2 white marks on the forewing? I think it is more likely to be apicipunctella. Too early for albifrontella. The other image is, as you point out, a blur. But if I had to guess, I'd say a caddis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, caddis fly for the last two pictures.

      Delete
  2. Thanks very much Peter and I'm sure your caddis diagnosis is correct. I don't know why some of the text has a white background, incidentally. I've tried to remove it but to no avail. Over to Dave...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's blogger, I presume you copy/pasted a part of the text

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that's the gremlin. btw, belatedly checking my records, I see that E.apicipunctella came here last year and in 2015, so I am sure that you are right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Text duly tidied up! As Peter says, format problems can sometimes appear when using copy/paste which is why it is so useful to look quickly at the 'Preview' function before posting. I put things right here simply be retyping your text from the last sentence that appeared correctly, then deleted the rest.

      Delete
    2. Thanks v much Dave - sorry you had that chore. I'll def use Preview next time! all v b (and glad that your moths are so good) M

      Delete
  5. Do you send in your records to Martin Corley? He is under the impression that he had a county first on the 29th when he trapped apicipunctella?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again - no, I'm very bad at records but I'll email him about this Thanks again and all v best M

      Delete