Wednesday 8 March 2017

Beautiful Plume in Mursley

I saw a small plume moth fluttering around a clump of snowdrops this afternoon. I managed to pot it and in order to get a photograph, I placed it in our freezer. The intention was to leave it there for about 5 minutes to slow it down, but a phone call led me to leaving it for about 15 mins and sadly it was dead when I took it out. I had a good look at it under the microscope and keyed it out using Hart, 2011. British Plume Moths to be Amblyptilia acanthadactyla, Beautiful Plume. I have plenty of Hedge Woundwort, Lemon Balm and various species of mint in my garden, so there are a number of options for the larvae. It seems very early and Hart says "Spring records are few, so it appears that many adults do not survive the winter".

Mick Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.