Wednesday 14 September 2016

Nicotiana finally works

Last year I diligently planted seeds of Nicotiana (free packet in British Wildlife) in the vain hope of attracting Convolvulus Hawk-moth (Agrius convolvuli) for National Moth Night.  I nearly did not bother this year, but I was short of something to fill a space in the garden so planted some more.  Well last night they finally did the business and I've now added this beauty to my Garden list.


It is a bit bashed, and initially I thought it was a Pine Hawk, but the red stripes on the body in this shot give it away.



Also in the trap last night was this rather smart moth which I can only assume is Silver Y (Autographa gamma f. gammina), rather than anything more exotic.  If anyone thinks it might be something else, please let me know!


Neil Fletcher, Walter's Ash, VC24

2 comments:

  1. Nice one, Neil!

    And yes, just Autographa gamma I'm afraid!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been told that someone has also found a Convolvulus HM at Kingston Bagpuize this morning. I'm trying to get more details.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.