Tuesday 28 June 2016

Which Wainscot?


I had the moth above down as a Smoky Wainscot after it visited on June 7 but kindly commentors on my own blog have suggested that it is actually an Obscure W.  This is my only pic of it but I would be grateful for views. Having rechecked the Moths Bible, I think that Obscure looks correct.

The Muslin Footman with its eye-blurring wing pattern, is very common here at the moment. Five in the trap this morning and a couple of others fluttered off from nearby foliage.

Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon


2 comments:

  1. I agree with Obscure Wainscot.
    Very smart Muslin Footman, the few I've seen have all been a bit washed out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very many thanks Martin. The Muslim Footmen are very intriguing - the way that they slightly defocus the eye (or mine at least), like the Scorched Wing in a different way. All v best M

    ReplyDelete