Thursday 9 June 2016

Golden Plusia, and help needed with 2 others

I had my garden trap out on Tuesday night during a thunderstorm and torrential downpour, but it didn't seem to deter the moths. I ended up with 446 moths, although 244 of them were Diamond-back moths (there were probably more, but 244 is the number I counted).
There were 2 new moths for my garden, a Thistle Ermine and the Golden Plusia below. I did wonder what was eating the delphiniums!


If someone could help with the 2 moths below I would be very grateful. I feel I should know the micro, but its name is currently eluding me.



Steve Trigg, Cookham


3 comments:

  1. Hello Steve, very nice to get Golden Plusia - it is not at all common locally and has to date managed to avoid my garden! My vote for the noctuid would be a rather darkly marked Clouded Brindle (perhaps one of the CMRs could confirm?) while the micro is Cydia pomonella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave and Martin, many thanks for identifying the Clouded Brindle. And I should have known the Codling Moth - I was thrown by the darkness of the forewing. Others I have seen have been greyer with transverse lines.

    ReplyDelete