Wednesday 8 June 2016

A bit more help needed




Is this a Spruce Carpet or Grey Pine? I remember having problems last year.

 
I caught 4 of these pugs and hope that someone might be able to spot something diagnostic.



Argyresthia trifasciata ?  My first real attempt at identifying micros. This one seemed a good one to start with.



Epinota bilunata ?



Crambus lathoniellus ?? I'm far less confident with this one.

Sorry about the number of photos/requests for help but as always the assistance is most appreciated.
Andy Newbold, Sibford Ferris, Oxon.
P.S. I caught my first Green Silver Lines on Monday and can at least identify that with confidence!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andy, all three micros are correct (but 0:10 for your spelling of Epinotia bilunana!). Crambus lathoniellus is the first of the common 'grass moths' to appear locally and has been around for about a month already. Chrysoteuchia culmella is just starting now (I had my first in the garden last night).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dave. Sorry about the spelling! Any help with the carpet would be welcome as I have caught several more of the same. I am assuming the pug is probably a Common Pug as I have now caught a few more better marked specimens and that seems the best match.

    ReplyDelete