Thursday 26 May 2016

Cauchas fibulella

Having failed to find it at a known local site four days ago, a search for the long-horn micro-moth Cauchas (Adela) fibulella this afternoon proved successful at Calvert, Bucks where copious amounts of Germander Speedwell produced at least four of the tiny adults patrolling the flower heads.  Cydia ulicetana (swarms on gorse), Common Heath (3) and Small Yellow Underwing (1) were also recorded.

Cauchas fibulella, Calvert 26th May

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks
 

6 comments:

  1. Sure is, with just a few fair-weather cumulus floating about. Current temperature (4.25pm) is 19.3C according to the weather station at the airstrip at the other end of the village. Rather a pleasant afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. still crap at night though :). Is fibulella an especially notable species? The reason i ask is I found one yesterday whilst walking my butterfly transect and wondered whether it was worth flagging up. Also had rufimitrella on Sorrel flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is especially uncommon but it is certainly under-recorded being the smallest of this family. With my deteriorating eyesight, these days it is an achievement seeing it at all!

      Delete
  3. I found a C fibulella this afternoon in the garden. It was about 2 ft from where I found one last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to start growing some Speedwell in my garden!

      Delete