Friday 19 February 2016

New Sites

Making the most of the sunshine, I carried out a couple of daytime reconnaissance visits to locations which I plan to trap at regularly this year, yesterday at some wetland sites in Milton Keynes and today on chalk grassland near Stokenchurch, Bucks.  I got a couple of records for my trouble, a larva of Endothenia gentianaeana inside the first teasel I opened at the former (checked back at home to make sure it wasn't E.marginana), plus several active leaf-mines of Stigmella aurella on bramble at the latter.

Larva of Endothenia gentianaeana inside teasel

Larvae of Stigmella aurella mining a leaf of bramble

Hopefully the warmer (if rather windy) nights this weekend will tempt out a few more adult moths.

Dave Wilton
Westcott, Bucks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.