Sunday 11 October 2015

Worth waiting



I still want a Clifden Nonpareil more than anything else but meanwhile Griposia aprilina will do me fine. Thank goodness someone wasn't content with Linnaeus' name for it (why aprilina when it flies in Octoberlina?) and came up with the wonderful Merveille du Jour instead.  A very nice f.capucina of the Green-brindled Crescent came to call here as well. The Merveille was on the lawn by the trap and I very nearly trod on it; another useful lesson in inspecting the surroundings carefully before getting on to the eggboxes. Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

2 comments:

  1. I'm still waiting for Merveille du Jour in my garden this year but there's plenty of time yet. You are quite right about needing to search for it - like some other autumnal moths it is well known as one of those species which prefer to sit around near the trap rather than entering it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave - I was also going to apologise for the delay in responding but at least it means that I can now applaud the arrival of MdJs in your moth-filled garden All v best M

    ReplyDelete