Monday 12 October 2015

Needs a polish




This arrival on Sat/Sun night is the least burnished Burnished Brass I have ever encountered. I don't think it's worn particularly badly although maybe there has been scale loss, particularly affecting the metallic, reflecting/refracting ones; I've tried zooming in but the photo isn't good enough. The wing edges are not frayed, so far as I can see. I'm also having difficulty in telling whether it's juncta or aurea, though that is probably just me. From the middle photo, I'd guess juncta. I just wondered if dull ones like this are part of the normal pattern. Any thought appreciated, as always. Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

3 comments:

  1. Keep a note of the width of the join between the 2 burnished parts, it's likely to be split in to 2 species very soon now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's juncta Martin - there is a clear join between the two 'burnished' bands. It has probably been out in the rain too much, hence the general wearing of scales. As Peter says, work is on-going with regard to a possible split of this moth into two species and it would be worth keeping a photographic record of any juncta forms you find which have a particularly wide join between the two bands (not this one!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many thanks both - roll on the 'new' UK moth! Apols for the delay in replying, all warm wishes M

    ReplyDelete