Thursday 24 September 2015

BSK and Chestnut

Loaded with an unusual sense of enthusiasm and optimism following the recent records of Clifden Nonpareil locally I decided to run my September survey at Bagley Woods last night where this time last year it was also the scene of this glorious moth. However, despite a pair of Red Underwings which might have initially got my heart racing if they hadn't been fully displayed from the start, I was to have no further record this year. In fact, despite the cloudy and warm night which partly caused my misplaced optimism, there were very moths in total. New for the season were Blair's Shoulder-knot and Chestnut and it was nice to see 6 Frosted Orange (5 in one trap) - a moth I rarely catch more than one of two of in a night. Sallow species were notable by their absence with only a single Pink-barred and a single Barred among the catch. Marc Botham, Didcot

Frosted Oranges, Bagley Woods 23-09-15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.