Tuesday 1 September 2015

Another Convolvulus Hawkmoth

I'd love to say I''d joined the Convolvulus club but this moth continues to give Didcot a miss despite a close call with Richard Lewington's individual in Appleford and now this one found in a washing bag by a friend in Brightwell-cum-Sotwell - what is it with washing? Thanks to Steph for sending me a picture of this stunning male.

Anyway, shows they're about the place even if I can't get a sniff. One moth that has been gracing my garden traps more than normal (for me at least) is Old Lady, with 4 last night and 2-3 most other nights. Last nights were all in fairly good condition as well whereas the previous night's were both very ragged. For a moth said not to come to light that much there must be lots of them out there! Other than that the Didcot garden remains a fairly poor place for moths at the moment with only Large Yellow Underwings making up any decent numbers with just over a hundred last night.

Convolvulus Hawk-moth found in washing bag by Steph Rorke in Brightwell-cum-Sotwell (VC22)


3 comments:

  1. Presumably there's something in the chemical make-up of OMO or DAZ or whatever proprietary detergent brands are available these days (well outside my area of knowledge, I'm afraid!). As I commented under the Bucks Convolvulus record the other day, there must be something here for a PhD student...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about attaching a moth light to the washing machine and taking both out into the garden?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A different take on those old adverts about money wasting - Bold 2 in 1........

    ReplyDelete