Monday 21 July 2014

Mothing Too Good To Stop

I've been desperately trying to catch up with my moth admin, that is ID'ing all the moths from the photos that I've taken and then writing them down in my spreadsheet. In order to avoid things running away from me I've been trying to instigate a new policy of only running the trap every other night but with the extra warm weather that we've been having, conditions have just been too good not to take advantage of them. Thus once again I am several days behind and at the time of writing this I've yet to empty the trap for today.

Since I've last posted I've added 12 year ticks to the list of which (presumed - see below) Toadflax Pug, Agapeta Hamana and Rosy Rustic are all new garden ticks. As usual I have a few queries to run by the house experts which are pictured below.

1 & 2 are the same moth which is rather worn but has quite bright colouring so I'm hoping it is still do-able.

3. Is this just a variation on Celypha lacunana?

4 I'm guessing is Toadflax Pug judging by the flight time and the fact that everything is 3 weeks early this year

5. I'm wondering about Cydia fagiglandana rather than C splendana.

1
2
3
4
5

Addendum
I found a better photo of the first moth taken from the other side which, whilst still rather worn, does see to match Pammene aurita most closely.

presumed Pammene aurita

5 comments:

  1. Hello Adam, indeed it is a bit addictive at the moment with so many species appearing in the trap. I've also been unable to 'give it a rest' for a night! I do make sure that each catch is released about a mile away, though, so that I'm not simply re-catching the same individuals.

    Your first two pictures look rather like a very worn example of Pammene aurita although I think it is probably too far gone to take that as acceptable for a record without dissection. Celypha lacunana and Cydia fagiglandana are correct. The pug is rather worn in the wrong places so it is difficult to be sure, but to me it has more of a hint of Foxglove than Toadflax. Perhaps someone else might like to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say Foxglove Pug - the outer edge of the grey cross bar on the right wing looks to have a definite kink rather than the smooth curve of Toadflax. Also, I would expect Toadflax to look quite fresh on this date. It is quite late for Foxglove, but looking at my own records, I have seen it in mid July before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that guys. I've added another picture of the putative Pammene aurita taken from the other side which I hope is better able to confirm the record. Is this a rare species locally?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The micro field guide says that it is common. That's not my personal experience locally but I suppose it is likely to be found wherever there are sycamores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Adam, I think you do have P. aurita. I've had a few recently.

    ReplyDelete