Wednesday 30 July 2014

IDs + question on Privet Hawk

The question re Privet Hawk is that I had several in the garden - I have Privet and Lilac - I probably need to trim the privet that I've let grow and flower - I don't want to accidently remove eggs or larvae - are the ylarge enough now to see or should I leave it for a few weeks before hand pruning the privet?

IDs for today, I think I have;

Blastobasis decolorella
Bulrush Wainscot
Caloptilia syringella








Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford

3 comments:

  1. I'd leave it a while Mark. Any larvae will still be quite small. They pupate before the onset of Winter. I used to cut my privet hedge around late October. Your id's are correct again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Peter. I must remember to see if I can find any in a few weeks - the bushes aren't that big.

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely don't do what the farmers round me have just done and remove the entire hedgerow and everything around it then burn it with petrol. have spent last week watching total destruction and now live in the middle of a moonscape. that's good use of tax payers money for you!!

    ReplyDelete