Tuesday 15 July 2014

ID Confirmations & Pine Hawkmoth

A surprise this morning, a Pine Hawkmoth. Other than a really small scots pine in a neighbour's garden I didn't think there were any pines around here. A very nice find.

The next moth a bit of a contrast in size - I think it's Stathmopoda pedella - sorry for now measure, I didn't even manage to get it into a tube.

Then a second generation Early Thorn.

Sorry again no measure but is this yet another form of the Marbled Minor agg.?

Next  Catoptria falsella?

Finally I thought it might be a worn Spruce Carpet - with more jagged edges to the central banding.


Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford.






2 comments:

  1. First 3 correct.
    The 4th looks like a form of Cloaked Minor
    5th correct
    6th I'd agree with Spruce carpet.
    I suspect S. pedella is a good record.

    ReplyDelete