Monday 9 June 2014

Pheromone Success

I put the VES lure out in the garden here at Westcott, Bucks at 3pm this afternoon and sat down with a cup of tea to watch for clearwing activity, expecting none as is usually the case!  I've had Orange-tailed Clearwing here to that lure on a couple of occasions in the past and was hoping that I might perhaps get it again.  However, within ten minutes a different species appeared which, after netting, proved to be Yellow-legged Clearwing, a new species for the garden.  Very nice!  Nothing else had turned up by 3.30pm so I then tried the TIP lure for Currant Clearwing and one very small male duly appeared at 4pm, just as I was about to give up.  These lures are four or five years old but obviously retain their ability to bring in the moths if looked after and kept in the freezer.

Dave Wilton

Yellow-legged Clearwing, Westcott 9th June

Currant Clearwing, Westcott 9th June
  

2 comments:

  1. Going to have to mark you down for spelling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duly corrected, sir. I'll do the 100 lines.

      Delete