Thursday 12 June 2014

Not all Heart and Darts?

At the moment Heart and Darts are by far the most common species in my moth trap. However, I did notice a couple of moths that were similar but different.
The first does not have the black stripe on the front of the collar and the forewing measured 19mm. Would this be a Turnip Moth?


The second was smaller with a forewing of 15mm, and the markings looked different from the other Heart and Darts. Could this be a Heart and Club?


Finally, can I add a micro to this posting. The forewing was 8mm and it looked more silvery than in this photo. Suggestions welcome.


Steve Trigg, Cookham


2 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for this point, Steve. I am going to look at my nightly haul of H&Ds more closely now. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say Turnip, H&C and a Coleophorid that needs chopping.

    ReplyDelete