Monday 30 June 2014

Last request of the day/month


Two micros and that's it. I think that the one above is Crassa unitella but the one below has me foxed after veering between pinky Celyphas (the image has a pinkish tone to me but it may be the camera) and grey Clothes moths, the sublime to the gorblimey. And then there are the Swammerdamias which hold their antennae in the same way in the amazing Lewington pics but they seem to have the wrong 'noses'. So if one of the Wise Men can answer the question, I would again be very grateful. But now I will go and have tea.  Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon.    


2 comments:

  1. Hello Martin, you are almost certainly correct with the first one although its resting posture is not typical - unitella normally sticks its rear end in the air as shown in the micro field guide. The only vaguely similar moths are Crassa tinctella, which doesn't have such a contrast between head colour and wings as your example does, and Roeslerstammia erxlebella which does sit like your example but has a noticeably white area towards the tip of each antenna. The antennae are not particularly clear in your photograph but I can see no white.

    The second moth looks to me like a worn-out Cnephasia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks as ever Dave - your detail is really appreciated. All best M

    ReplyDelete