Wednesday 25 June 2014

Clouded Border and micros for ID/ confirmation

A quieter night last night but I did get another moth which according to the books is not usually found in gardens, a Clouded Border.

Re the micros the first I wonder is yet another form of Scoparia ambigualis, the second might be another form of Aleimma loeflingiana?  The final one is from September 2013 and was ID'd on another site as Eudonia angustea but to me it looks like Scoparia ambigualis?

Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford






2 comments:

  1. The first Scoparid I reckon is Eudonia mercurella, then Pandemis cerasana and I'll pass on the final one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark, I know the field guide doesn't specifically mention gardens for Clouded Border but it is certainly a moth that could easily be found in them and I'm sure you'll see it again (I get lots here in Westcott, Bucks). The final one could well be E.angustea but it is difficult to tell from that picture. For what it is worth, S.ambigualis would normally be over by September but E.angustea would be at its peak then.

    ReplyDelete