Saturday 10 May 2014

Trapping on a new site...

Last night, Rob Payne and I, joined for the evening by Paul Bowyer, ran some traps at the Chiltern Open Air Museum near Chalfont St Giles.  Although I ran an MV light there one night last August to generate some moths for a show-and-tell session, I understand that no-one has trapped on the site before, and we hope to do more in future, so it will be interesting to see what lives there...

We ran 4 MVs of various wattages and a 40W actinic, leaving all but one MV on site overnight sheltered as best as possible from the rain.

I have 134 moths of 44 species on my list, mostly macros, and Rob has taken away a selection of micros and pugs for "further study".

The most common species were Flame Shoulder, Red Twin-spot Carpet, Marbled Brown, Orange Footman and Brimstone.

Species new for my year list at least were White-pinion Spotted, Shuttle-shaped Dart, Oak Nycteoline, Common White Wave, Yellow-barred Brindle, Pale Tussock, Oak-tree Pug, Oak Hook-tip, Spectacle, Green Carpet, Waved Umber, Clouded Silver, Pebble Hook-tip, Seraphim, Small Waved Umber, White Ermine, Common Wave, Pale Mottled Willow, Angle Shades, Pine Beauty, Common Pug, Pale Oak Beauty & Poplar Hawk-moth.

Dave Morris

 Oak Hook-tip
 Oak Nycteoline
 Pale Oak Beauty (anyone spot a theme here?!)
 Seraphim
Small Waved Umber

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dave,
    Chiltern Open Air Museum is not a million miles away from Philipshill Wood, where I've been trapping quite extensively for the last 3 years. Looking through your list, I think the species would tally with Philipshill, which is mostly fairly dense (and not particularly mature) woodland, with one exception ; Pine Beauty: I've not seen it at Philipshill - indeed I've never seen it anywhere!
    Andy King.

    ReplyDelete