Monday 26 May 2014

Stoke Goldington

Poor catches continue in my garden in Stoke Goldington - single figures most nights. Recent "highlights" include Pale-shouldered Brocade, Clouded-bordered Brindle, The Miller, Poplar Grey, my first Elephant Hawk-moth of the year, Spruce Carpet and a smart Purple Bar (photo below). In the daylight, on 21st May I caught a pale micro (photo below), which is troubling my id skills. The nearest I can get is a worn Agonopterix propinquella (if the overwintered adults are still on the wing in May).

Purple Bar

Agonopterix propinquella?

7 comments:

  1. Hello Keith, as you say, it is a bit worn but I don't see what else it could be! There's no reason why it shouldn't have survived this long, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't think it is arenella?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think arenella would appear a bit 'dirtier' than that, even if really worn. There ought to be some sign of the spots around the termen, for example. Of course, knowing the size would help...

      Delete
  3. there is some signs of the dark/light banding along the costa and it has the 2 dark spots anterior to the darker discal spot and the basic colour is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excuse my poor grammar, it should start there ARE some signs...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The forewing length is approximately 7mm if that is any help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does point more towards propinquella than arenella, Keith, but I don't think we're ever going to be sure without a microscopic examination! For what it is worth, there are only about a dozen Bucks records for propinquella but about half are from the MK area.

      Delete