Tuesday 27 May 2014

One for Confirmation

Ever the optimist I put the trap out last night - amongst the catch were some very large slugs but also a perfect Peach Blossom, a first for me. And I suspect, a Square Spot Rustic - can someone confirm that please?

Finally as I was packing up I noticed what I took to be another huge slug on the inside of the handle of the watering can a few feet away. It turned out to be a pristine Eyed Hawkmoth, another first for me.

Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford.




3 comments:

  1. Hi Mark, you'll get your fill of Square-spot Rustics a little later .... that's a Small Square-spot.

    I ran my garden actinic trap last night too, despite the almost constant rain, and got 52 moths of 15 species which wasn't too bad considering the conditions. Nothing new for the year, though. Common Swift and Treble Lines vied for first place with 11 each.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. There is a similarity between these two common species and you're not the first to confuse them. Small Square-spot is always this reddish-brown colour (Square-spot Rustic can occasionally be a similar colour although is much more variable). The little black 'full stop' just inboard of the 'square spot' is a good feature to look for. Be warned that it comes back with a second brood when Square-spot Rustic will also be flying...

      Delete