Sunday 25 May 2014

In search of Little Green Men

I spent some time looking for Forester Moth this afternoon as it should be on the wing now.  This is a NERC Act Section 41 Priority Species and we have a handful of very small colonies in Bucks.  A visit to Asham Meads (near Whitecross Green Wood), normally the strongest local colony, produced no sign of the moth in its usual area there, which is a bit worrying as I failed to find it last year either.  However, I did do quite well for other day-flying moth species:  Adela rufimitrella (39), Glyphipterix simpliciella (1), Glyphipterix fuscoviridella (3), Anthophila fabriciana (1), Grapholita jungiella (1), Opsibotys fuscalis (2), Pyrausta purpuralis (1), Grass Rivulet (3), Marsh Pug (2, to be confirmed), Small Yellow Underwing (4), Mother Shipton (1) & Burnet Companion (3).  Marsh Pug is another uncommon (Notable B List) species but this would be the sixth known site for it in VC24.  The photograph below shows just how anonymous the moth can look, with very little similarity to the illustration in the field guide, although the forewing trailing corner white spots and chequered fringe are just about visible.  The fact that it is small and was found visiting flowers in the daytime in the right kind of habitat means that I'm fairly certain of the ID, but this little chap will need to undergo a bit of surgery at the hands of Peter Hall to be certain.  [Mr Maunder:  time to check your colony on the edge of Aylesbury!] 

Marsh Pug, Asham Meads 25th May

I then went to Bernwood Meadows (adjacent to Bernwood Forest) where the very first thing I saw was a Forester!  Seven different individuals were recorded there so the moth is very definitely on the wing - making me even more worried about the situation at Asham Meads.  They were all found resting or nectaring on flowers of Clover or Green-winged Orchid.  Again, lots of other species were recorded but they were mostly the same as before, the only addition being a solitary Silver Y.

Forester, Bernwood Meadows 25th May
Dave Wilton

5 comments:

  1. I hope one of the Marsh Pugs is a male. In an inexplicable act of crass stupidity, I forgot to photograph the genital plate last year when prepping one for the Dissection website

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you see is what you get - I only brought one home and it looks like a male to me!

      Delete
  2. there were large numbers of Forester up at Aston Rowant last year - I didn't see any today. Not sure which one it is - I assume it's the "common" one - I took a not very good photo at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, I would imagine it would be Cistus Forester (Adscita geryon) on the chalk at Aston Rowant because Forester (Adscita statices) seems to be restricted to low-lying meadows locally. It would need a specimen to be sure, though. I may be mistaken but I don't recall having heard of any Forester species being recorded at Aston Rowant in recent years so if at some stage you could dig out your picture, the date, and details of whereabouts you saw them (in particular which side of the M40) I'd be very interested.

      Delete