Wednesday 14 May 2014

Carpetworld


May I just check a couple of IDs from my Robinson trap at Thrupp, Oxon, which has temporarily been renamed Carpetworld after visits from Green, Red Twin-spot and Garden Carpets on Monday night. I think the above is a Rush Veneer and below a Least Black Arches but have my usual niggling doubts. Help much appreciated as always. Other new arrivals are China Mark and Cinnabar with Shuttle-shaped Darts and Muslin moths still coming in reasonable numbers - four or five a night of each.  Martin Wainwright

3 comments:

  1. Hi Martin, the top one is a Cnephasia (a tortricoid micro) which will unfortunately need the chop to be fully identified to species. The other picture is indeed of Least Black Arches. You need to be a bit more specific with your 'China Mark' too - there are four different China-mark species!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try and get into the habit of using scientific names for the micros, that at least makes it easier to know which species you refer to. The Cnephasia is likely to be communana, but as Dave says, it needs chopping to be certain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much. No chopping here alas, though. And sorry, I had a brainstorm when I said China Mark. I meant that curious little blob, the Chinese Character. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete