Monday 26 May 2014

By Request - Forester from Aston Rowant last year

hi, by request here it is. I think Wendy Campbell attempted to get this ID'd at the time. Not a good photo but there were lots of them - photo taken 8/7/2013.

The moths were on the part of the reserve north of the M40 (access via the old A40). When you go from the carpark you go down through the wooded area to the foot of a south facing steep hill that looks over the M40. Go up as soon as you get out of the wood and they were on the steep part - lots of rock rose there.

Mark Griffiths, Garsington, Oxford.





4 comments:

  1. Many thanks for digging that out, Mark. I'll have to check out the site sometime over the next week or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, but note the date of the photo - I don't know how long they had been out but it was July when I saw them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Mark. Your date in July would normally have been towards the end of the flight season but lots of things were late because of the dreadful Spring. Theoretically it should be the other way around this year!

      Delete
  3. Hi Dave,

    During the trapping you helped me with last summer I trapped Aston Rowant (North). When I collected in the trap I found plenty of Foresters. I didn´t have time to look at them properly whilst surveying but took one back and pinned one out and looked under microscope - pretty sure I had it down as Forester but my memory is terrible and I can´t check right now as I´m in Spain enduring similar conditions to what it sounds like you are back in England except colder rather annoyingly (hence at computer rather tan out enjoying butterflies). When I get back I´ll check it out along with date but it was end of June sometime I´m fairly sure.

    ReplyDelete