Friday 16 May 2014

A Rare Moth In Central Oxford?

Despite the improving weather things have been remarkably slow here in central Oxford. Catch numbers have been creeping up slowly over the last few days but only tonight finally got above ten individuals. However last night turned up what looks like a Toadflax Brocade which is marked as "Red Data Book" species (the rarest resident category) in Townsend and Waring. I'm not sure if that's still accurate and would appreciate some more information on this species which is certainly a new one for me.

Adam Hartley


Toadflax Brocade

Addendum
In my excitement I forgot to mention another "new for year" in the trap, namely a Lychnis.

Lychnis

3 comments:

  1. Hi Adam, that is indeed a very smart-looking Toadflax Brocade. Like other species such as Tree-lichen Beauty, it is spreading quite rapidly from the south and east. As you suggest, I'm sure it will no longer be eligible for its RDB status (which indicates a species found in 15 or fewer 10k squares in the UK) but it is still a nice species to get in your garden trap. I'm still looking forward to seeing it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam, I had Toadflax Brocade on 3 different occasions last year in my garden in Cookham, Berkshire. They are clearly now heading further north!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How have they missed me out on the way - I seem to be directly in their range spread :). This is the species I'd earmarked as next for my garden and I'm half way between Cookham and Oxford. Great catch Adam, I like Dave am waiting to see one - it looks like a smart moth.

    ReplyDelete