Tuesday 29 April 2014

Micro guessing game (again)



Orange Footman, Red Twin-spot Carpet and this micro which I think is Cochylis atricapitana (confirmation/correction much appreciated) have brought my tally for the year to 50 species. Other eggbox residents were a very pretty Twenty-plume with wings outstretched, a Muslin, a Brindled Beauty, a Pale Prominent, a Powdered Quaker, a Clouded Drab, a Hebrew Character, a Caddis fly and an earwig. Outside the trap in the long grass, three Brimstone moths were kipping. We have meanwhile declared war on that loathsome insect the Blandford Fly and got off to a good start when we disturbed a handsome slowworm while chasing one.

Update: could I just check this pug which I put on my own blog as a Brindled but a wise commentor there suggests its an Oak Tree - ie an error the exact opposite of my claim last week of an Oak Tree which was actually a Brindled. Many thanks.




Martin Wainwright, Thrupp, Oxon

2 comments:

  1. Hi Martin, yes to Cochylis atricapitana and your Pug is indeed a classic example of Oak-tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much obliged as always. Good luck with the Maybugs! All best M

    ReplyDelete